Complex? Navigating the school system in Hawaii

I had no idea what a complex school psychologist meant or how it would be different than my training in California...but it's really not as "complex" as you may think. 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
District: The statewide school system is divided into seven administrative districts, including Oahu’s Honolulu, Central, Leeward and Windward districts; the Big Island’s Hawaii district; Maui District has Maui, Molokai and Lanai; and the Kauai district. Within each district, smaller areas are divided into 'complex' areas, based on the high schools and all the feeder schools

Honolulu School District: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Complex: The complex I work in is called Kaiser Complex and is in the East side of Oahu. There are four elementary schools (Aina Haina, Koko Head, Kamiloiki, Hahaione) that are scattered across the complex and cover grades Kindergarten through 5th grade. Eventually, all elementary students will transition to middle school (Niu Valley Middle School) and then attend (Kaiser) high school.  

School Psychologists 
There are six schools and two school psychologists in Kaiser Complex. I cover two elementary schools and the high school and the other  school psychologist covers two elementary schools and the middle school. Unlike my experience in the mainland (Irvine, California), we do not have a set schedule of when we are at each school. On one given day, I may have meetings at all three of my schools and still have to go to one of my many meetings at District Office. 
Another big difference is that there are Clinical Psychologists. In Kaiser Complex, there is a half-time Clinical Psych who is my partner at the other staffing meetings (monthly school consultation) and decides if an EBA (Emotional Behavioral Assessment: written for the purpose of finding a diagnosis and usually for significant cases)....not to be confused with a Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA). I'll have to touch base on the specifics of how Hawaii runs special education/at-risk youth at another time.... but let me tell you....it was a lot to get used to. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Office... When I started (Summer 2009) my office consisted of a open space portable that I shared with the "Special Services" (Diagnostic) Team. I was not in my office very often because I traveled so much, consulting with teachers on cases and attending meetings. I often wrote reports when I was in between meetings in libraries or sometimes at the nearest Starbucks. It was hard to feel part of the schools I worked at because we were never involved in any school pride or invited to any school functions. 
This year, I asked the principal at Kaiser High School if I could have an office on campus so that I could be more available and be more 'part of the school,' which has proven to be exhausting but worth every extra minute spent on campus. Last year, I said 'hi' to just about anyone at my schools and they were probably thinking.... "Who is this Haole girl?" or "oh. District person..." but now I am on the Kaiser High School telephone list, included in tough crisis decisions, and attending and participating in school events (I have one coming up next weekend for senior projects). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Masterbation: Self Stimulating Behaviors At School

Doug C. vs. Hawaii: IEP parent involvement